September 22, 2017
Summer has slipped away and fall has arrived. With fall comes changing of colors and colder temperatures, but nature isn’t the only thing that changes. For most people, fall also means less activity and movement, more muscle and joint pain, and the good old seasonal sicknesses start to spread.
What can you do to help your body transition into the new season without skipping a beat? You probably don’t think of massage as something that can help you adapt to the changing conditions, but it can. The benefits of massage can help mitigate many of the physical downsides that come with fall so you can spend your time enjoying the season.
Here’s some of the ways that massage can help you enjoy autumn this year:
Believe it or not massage can help fight off those nasty seasonal illnesses, like the cold and flu, that start to set in around this time. White blood cells fight off these ailments, so naturally increasing activity can help keep you healthy. Researchers have been finding that massage can help increase white blood cell activity. The result is a stronger immune system that can fend off sickness more effectively.
A Good Night’s Sleep
Getting good rest at night is also a key ingredient in staying healthy when everyone else is getting sick. Not only will quality sleep help your body fight off illness, but it helps you function better throughout the day. Getting the right amount of sleep can help your memory, creative abilities, cognitive functions, attention span, and decision-making capacity. Studies are constantly being conducted and the fact is that the right amount of quality sleep is integral in living a productive and healthy life.
Massage helps your body produce the right hormones to induce deeper sleep at night. Massage can increase serotonin and melatonin levels, which are important in regulating your sleep cycle. Many people will tell you that they sleep much better after getting a massage. If you haven’t experienced it yet, give it a try.
Seasonal Arthritis Pain
If you have arthritis, then the cooler temperatures of fall can be bad news. The fall and winter conditions can be difficult to deal with and typically causes more pain and inflammation for arthritic people. If you fall into this category, giving massage a try may help mitigate your pain and help you get through the colder seasons with less problems. The increase in blood flow, loosening of the connective tissue, and the relaxing after-effect of massage are few examples of things that can help alleviate arthritis pain.
If you’re arthritic, give massage a try. It may be the best medicine for you yet.
Avoid the Shivers
Don’t love cold weather? You’re not the only one. When the weather starts to change, it can be exciting initially but for most people the cold temperatures get really old really fast. Well, massage can help with that too. Blood flow increases after massage which can help in keeping your body temperature at a comfortable level. If you make massage part of your routine, it can help you stay toasty and warm this fall.
Combat Dry Skin
The colder temperatures that roll in with autumn cause a lot of people’s skin to dry out. One way that massage can help with dry skin is by getting your body to produce more collagen for your skin. This makes it more elastic and moist. Also, if you ask your massage therapist to use coconut oil or another natural moisturizer, it can help your skin stay soft and smooth during the fall and winter months.
What to Expect for Your Fall Massage
One of the main reasons that people don’t get massages is that they don’t know what to expect; The unknown factor makes them uncomfortable with massage. Because people don’t know what to expect on their first visit to the massage therapist, they often miss out on the benefits of altogether.
Here’s a few tips to help you know what to expect and how to make massage most effective:
- Setting – Most traditional massages are done in a private setting that is designed to help you feel comfortable and relaxed. Before the massage, you will be given time to remove as much or as little clothing as you feel comfortable with. Once you have done this, you can lie down on the massage table and use the sheet to cover up.
- Preparatory information – Your massage therapists will probably ask you questions about anything that is bothering you or if you have any conditions they should be aware of. They do this so they can find out if there are areas they should focus on or specific techniques they should use.
- During your massage – During your massage you can communicate with your massage therapist to let them know how much pressure to apply or where to spend more time.
- Notice the difference – Once you’re done with your massage, pay attention to what feels different.
- Drink water – Massage can cause your body to release a lot of toxins. To help flush them out, drink lot of water.
- Schedule your next massage – Making massage part of your routine is important. Getting a massage regularly is the best way to take advantage of the benefits continually.
If you haven’t had a massage before, visit us at Indiana Massage College. Autumn is the perfect time to start making massage a regular occurrence. You can schedule an appointment in our massage clinic to start reaping the benefits of massage.
Become a Massage Therapist
If you’re interested in becoming a massage therapist, check out our program and contact us. The massage therapy industry is growing much faster than average, so therapists are in demand. Join the ranks of massage therapists who have a career that is exciting and rewarding. We can’t wait to help you on your journey to building a new career in the massage industry.